What's the difference? Present Perfect and Past Simple

Present Perfect and Past Simple

Present Perfect SimplePast Simple
Unfinished actions that started in the past and continue to the present:
  • I've known Julie for ten years (and I still know her).
Finished actions:
  • knew Julie for ten years (but then she moved away and we lost touch).
A finished action in someone's life (when the person is still alive: life experience):
  • My brother has been to Mexico three times.
A finished action in someone's life (when the person is dead):
  • My great-grandmother went to Mexico three times.
A finished action with a result in the present:
  • I've lost my keys! (The result is that I can't get into my house now).
A finished action with no result in the present:
  • lost my keys yesterday. It was terrible! (Now there is no result. I got new keys yesterday).
With an unfinished time word (this week, this month, today):
  • I've seen John this week.
With a finished time word (last week, last month, yesterday):
  • saw John last week.

Comentarios