1. List of online exercises and games:
1. http://lve.scola.ac-paris.fr/anglais/valentine/symbols.htm Matching game on Valentine’s Day Symbols
2. http://www.theholidayspot.com/valentine/: games, letterheads, poems, history, zodiac, etc. for you to entertain and learn about Saint Valentine’s Day.
3. http://lve.scola.ac-paris.fr/anglais/valentine/valentine.htm A text to be completed with words on the topic
4. http://www.marks-english-school.com/games/mes-valentines_01.html A Saint Valentine’s game
5. http://www.learnenglishfeelgood.com/vocabulary/holidays_valentines1.html A quiz on Saint Valentine’s Day
2. Reading comprehension.
Read the following text about Saint Valentine’s legends.
Every February we celebrate Valentine's Day by giving flowers, candy and cards to those we love. We do this in honor of Saint Valentine. You may be wondering, "Who is St. Valentine"?
Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during third century Rome. There was an Emperor at that time by the name of Claudius II. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those that were married. With this thought in mind he outlawed marriage for young men in hopes of building a stronger military base. Supposedly, Valentine, decided this decree just wasn't fair and chose to marry young couples secretly. When Emperor Claudius II found out about Valentine's actions he had him put to death.
Another legend has it that Valentine was an imprisoned man who fell in love with his jailor's daughter. Before he was put to death he sent the first 'valentine' himself when he wrote her a letter and signed it 'Your Valentine', words still used on cards today.
Answer the following questions:
- How is St. Valentine’s Day celebrated?
- How many legends about St. Valentine are told in the text?
- Who was Claudius II?
- Why was marriage forbidden for young men at Claudius II time?
- What did Valentine secretly used to do?
- How did Valentine end up when Claudius II found out about his activities?
- Who did Valentine fall in love with in a prison?
- What did he send before being put to death?
- What words do we still use in our Valentine’s Day Cards?
3. Saint Valentine's Day Puzzle
5. how cards finish off
1. something we send on Saint Valentine's Day
2. what is the main topic on Saint Valentine's Day?
3. the name of the saint celebrated on february
4. the month in which we celebrate Saint Valentine's Day
4. A Valentine’s Card
Go to http://theholidayspot.com/valentine/love_letterheads.htm and download a letterhead. Print it and write down your Valentine for somebody in the class. Don’t write down your name, he/she must guess it! Remember we can send Valentines either for love or for friendship.